Wednesday, May 25, 2005

George W. Meets His Maker

I recently received a "forward" from an old
friend speculating on what the arrival of Osama
bin Laden at the Pearly Gates might look like. This
led me to speculate on what God might have to say
when George W. Bush shows up at the Pearly Gates.
Here's my “artist's conception” of what God might
say to George W. Bush upon his arrival at the
Pearly Gates:



George, let's have a look at your record, and
see whether you've complied with my commandments.
First of all, George, you started wars, attacking
those who had not attacked you, nor had they any
capability to attack you. Don't you remember me
saying, "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they
shall be called sons of God"? (Matthew 5:9) You
have not been a peacemaker, George; you have been
a warmaker. How then can I call you my son?

In order to justify your wars, you lied about
weapons of mass destruction and connections with
terrorists where there were none. But I said, "
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy
neighbor." (Exodus 20:16) Why did
you lie about these things?

Many of my children died in the wars you
started: your own people, those who defended
against your attacks, innocent men, women and
children. As governor of Texas, you executed 152
of my children. As President, you oversaw the
first executions of Federal prisoners in nearly 40
years. How then can you say you have obeyed my
command, "Thou shalt not kill"? (Exodus
20:16)

I have commanded, "Thou shalt not covet thy
neighbor’s house, thou shalt not covet thy
neighbor’s wife, nor his man-servant, nor his
maid-servant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor
anything that is thy neighbor’s." (Exodus
20:17) When I say, "nor anything that is thy
neighbor's", George, that means his
oil, too.

I have said, "Lay not up for yourselves
treasures upon earth" (Matthew 6:19) and "the love
of money is the root of all evil" (1 Timothy
6:10), yet you and those you associate with do all
manner of evil to enrich yourselves, and to enrich
your friends at Halliburton, Bechtel and Carlyle.
Did I not say, "It is easier for a camel to go
through a needle’s eye, than for a rich man to
enter into the kingdom of God"? (Matthew 19:24)

I have commanded that my people watch over
and care for my creation. (Genesis 2:15) Yet you
allowed industry to pollute the air, the land and
the sea. You allowed the extinction of the
creatures I placed on the earth. You
destroyed the wilderness for the profit of
yourself and those like you. When nearly all of
my children agreed to cut emissions that caused
the warming of my creation, you refused to
participate. Why did you not care for my
creation?

More than this, George, you cut programs that
could have fed, clothed, and healed the poor.
While you were President, there were 40 million
Americans who could not afford health care;
worldwide, billions more. In your own country, 1
of every 8 of my children lived in poverty;
worldwide, three billion more of my children lived
in poverty. While forty thousand of my children
died of starvation every day, fifteen million of
them every year, you gave tax breaks to the rich.
Millions died of diseases that could have
been easily treated, yet you refused to give them
the medicine they needed. My children were naked,
hungry, thirsty, and sick, yet you did not clothe
them, you did not feed them nor give them water to
drink; you did not comfort or heal them. George,
truly I tell you, in that you did not do it for
one of the least important of these, you did not
do it for me. (Matthew 25:45) Get away from me,
you who are accursed, into the eternal fire that
has been prepared for the devil and his angels!
(Matthew 25:41)