Thursday, March 22, 2007

Why I Protest

I participate in a protest against the Iraq war nearly every Wednesday evening at a major downtown intersection in the town I live in. While I am completely convinced that the war is wrong, and that my opposition to it is right, I sometimes question whether standing on a street corner holding an “End the war now” sign is the right thing to do. (I think I tend to question it most often when it's cold and snowing outside!) While it is no substitute for other actions, such as writing to my congressional representatives (which I also do), I have decided our street corner protest is appropriate. Here's why:


1. Even though it is unlikely that the President, my Congressional representatives, or others who have the power to stop the war will drive by and see us holding our signs here in my little town, they are undoubtedly aware of the existence of street protests. Street protests have been covered in newspapers and on television. Our representatives in government are made aware that we oppose this war through our protests.

2. Anybody who drives by sees our protest, and knows that we are against the war. I have hope that those who do not (yet) oppose the war against Iraq will be encouraged to think about the reasons why we oppose the war, and that they may come around to thinking as we do.

3. There are others who oppose the war, but have been reluctant to publicly speak out against it. Seeing our public demonstrations against the war may encourage them to speak out against the war, maybe even to join our public protests.

4. Call it good vibes, or positive energy, or whatever. We are doing the right thing in protesting the war. We know we are doing the right thing. Others know we are doing the right thing. We are creating positive energy with what we are doing, and the overall “mood” or “attitude” of the world is better because of what we do.

Join us!